Monday, August 8

Books... or the lives I lead outside of this life....

when i read books i often feel like i am in them, especially if they are well written. when i'm half way through them i can look back at how it started almost like i was there, i can see how the characters around me have grown, expanded and progressed. when i finish the book i feel a sense of loss, because i realize that it was not real (but what is real?), that i am not going out with Goddard, or will never own Darkling, but it seems like it was real while i was reading it. i can sometimes remember books i have read in the past, and it is not like a memory of a book it's like a memory of something that happened to me, that i experienced. it is kind of wierd and hard to explain, but this is why i love to read so much. it is a way to get out of a reality that sometimes sucks and experience another world.

so, for those of you who, like me, love to lose themselves in another world here are some books i have experienced over the past year which you also may like:

1. Darkling by K.M. Peyton; i just finished this book today so it is still fresh in my memory. it is a horse story and a love story, full of emotion.

2. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares; i could very much relate to this book, i have not seen most of my friends for a month or more and the people i see every day.... i don't get on so well with.

3. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by JK Rowling; i won't say too much because i might spoil it for some one who hasn't read it, and i don't want to die. you probably won't be disappointed, it was very good, but it may reduce you to tears.

4. The Blue Roan Child by Jamieson Findlay; this was probably the BEST horse story i have EVER read (and i've read a lot of them). it was very unique, creative and well written, i think any lover of fantasy and adventure would like this book.

5. The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer; a very creative Sci-Fi about a clone boy discovering some terrible secrets about the world he lives in and his fate. it really brings up some interesting thoughts about where technology is going and has a very good ending.

6. The Star of Kazan by Eva Ibbotson; this is a wonderful story about an orphan girl who dreams of finding her mother-a grand lady- and it finally happens. but she finds that the life of an aristocrat is not what she thought it would be. it also involves a very hott farm boy who takes care of a georgious horse.

7. The Great Tree of Avalon; Child of the Dark Prophecy by TA Barron; i was very upset when it ended! it was soooo good! fortunately there is another one coming out soon.

8. Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke; i already wrote about this one a while ago... it was really good though

9. The Wind on Fire Trilogy by William Nicholson; if you liked the His Dark Materials Trilogy (the Golden Compass, the Subtle Knife and the Silver Spyglass) you will love these. they are funny and thoughtful and the characters grow in a wonderful way.

10. The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley; a wonderful story about a red-headed heroine who longs to fight dragons.

11. Birth of the Firebringer, Dark Moon and The Son of Summer Stars by Meredith Ann Pierce; a fantasy about unicorns, and not those awful unicorns that are attracted by virgins and killed for their horns. in fact there are only humans in the second book.

12.Wolf Tower, Wolf Star, Wolf Queen and Wolf Wings by Tanith Lee; the diary of a girl who thought there was more than what lay inside the walls of the garden which was governed by constand ceremony and tradition. she was right, and she also got the adventure and the man she has dreamed of.

13. Wolf Moon by Charles De Lint; the sad story of a Werewolf who is constantly hunted and all he wants is a home and friends. you will have a completely different sense of Werewolves than you get from most books and movies (save Harry Potter).

Enjoy your trip!

7 Comments:

At Monday, August 08, 2005 6:46:00 PM, Blogger Esperanza Rising said...

I've read many of these, but those I haven't I'll be sure to check out! The way you described reading books sounds exactly like me; I hate it when books end if they're good...you feel that sigh through you're body and then you realize you feel like you've been holding your breath in a weird sort of way the whole book....I read in a weird sort of way altogether...I'm a really fast reader, a speed reader...I've been told you can actually see my eyes moving along the page....but every couple pages or so, I stop and digest everything I just read. And lol,I often find my life in books, dreams and the real world mixing up somehow...kinda confusing...

bye bye now!

 
At Monday, August 08, 2005 9:41:00 PM, Blogger Polenta said...

yes! yes! yes!

this is how i read books!

the her and the crown is an awesome book! it's one of my fav's!

-g

 
At Tuesday, August 09, 2005 11:59:00 AM, Blogger Dryad said...

You told me about a wolfmoon, i was looking for it but i couldnt find it in the book store and i couldnt find it in the library....

 
At Tuesday, August 09, 2005 8:16:00 PM, Blogger fiddlin' fool said...

I read that way too!!!! I love it when you can just get 'lost' in the book, it's like it's happening to you and you are there until...adelle.....adelle..are you ignoring me?...you are aren't you. Sry!!! I didn't hear you!! really i didn't!!!

 
At Tuesday, August 09, 2005 10:11:00 PM, Blogger Esperanza Rising said...

No, I can always hear what's going on around me. But it is really annoying that addie can't..I know sometimes she CAN hear, she just can't *hear* if you know what I mean....It's like adelle, adelle, adelle, ADELLE ADELLE ADELLE...and so on, increasing each time. usually if I just keep repeting it, she looks up eventually.


la chica bonita

 
At Wednesday, August 10, 2005 7:32:00 PM, Blogger Nature's Daughter said...

i forgot to mention that the girl in "Darkling" reminds me more of myself than any character i have ever read about in any book.

 
At Wednesday, August 10, 2005 8:12:00 PM, Blogger fiddlin' fool said...

i can hear if i try...but i don't understand the book as well....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home