Sunday, September 11

The Daydream of a Free Mind

January, and still no snow fell. It did not seem right that it should be so cold but we still had not had snow. It didn't seemfair to have cold but not snow. Still, it was the new year and I was determined that something new, something exciting, would happen to me this year.
She must have seen the slightly forlorn look on my face when she came to pick up my brother. "Why don't you come to our house and skate too?" she asked, "I'm sure the boys will be gentle with you."
I grinned, it was answer enough but i added, "I'd love to!" just for good measure.
Teh boys were playing ice hockey when we arrived. There must have been 6 or 7 of them... i don't really remember. I had eyes only for one: Dave. Oh he was georgious! Ice blue eyes with hair the color of the winter sun; he made up for all the snow I had missed that year.
When I arrived the boys crowded aroun me, handing me skates and a hockeystick, despite my protests; I did NOT ply hockey. "Oh, it's easy!" they laughed. Dave's ice blue eyes glinted cheerfuly at me. I sighed inwardly. They proceeded to explain all at once the many rules of hockey. I didn't get any of them.
At leas I knew how to skate. Quite well actually, even if I did say it myself. Once I was on the ice the hockey game resumed, with boys and black pucks flying by. Numerous times the disc came spinning towards me, the boys yelling for me to hit it, and as i would (gracefully) jump out of the way they would groan.
Finally I hit it, again. And Again! I was laughing, whirring across the ice, sending the puck spinning. It was fun and I was good at it.
Once the boys realized I was decent at this game they stopped being so gentle. They would swoop in next to me, snatching the puck from my posession and grinning triumphantly, bear it away. I had seen the cocky grin one too many times on Dave's face when I stuck my stick out, just as he was gliding by. He tripped, began to fall forward, attempted to steady himself and went over backwards.
"Are you alright?" I cried, attempting to feign concern.
"Yes, I'm fine." He grunted as he looked up from the ice, his eyes pierced mind and he saw several things. Or so I believe, because as I offered my hand to help him up I caught a gleam of mischief in his eyes and a twitch of a grin on his lips. but it was too late, he help my hand quite firmly. then he gave a quick, hard tuga and i came down quite hard on the ice beside him.
He then placed one hand on either side of me and leaning over me said, "That is foul play." I could feel his breath on my face he was so close.
I was about to stutter out some excuse or something when he leaned even closer and his lips brushed mine. Then they came again, firmer and yet softer. I put my arms around him and pulled him to me. I was warm all over despite the cold ice against my back. His kisses were fiercer, like fiery ice. Then he stopped.
"No, don't stop." I whispered.
Then I heard laughter and catcalls. "Hmm," i thought, "Perhaps this is not the best place to be kissing. Dave Scrambled to his feet and pulled me up. He then marched me off the rink. We undid our skates in silence and slipped on our boots. He took my hand again nad led me into their dense pine forest.
It seemed warmer in here. The pine needles were springy under foot and crackled cheerfully. I was somewhat in shock. I wasn't really sure if this was really happening or if I would wake up and it would all just be a dream.
We had come to a clearing. He faced me and looked at me deeply.
"This is what you want?" he asked.
"yes." I replied.
We kissed as the snow began to fall.
* * *
After I went home I felt unreal, transparent. Everything seemed so perfect. He was perfect. I already missed him. I turned out the light, lit the candle in my window and climbed into bed. I lay still, then I turned on my side, then my other side, onmy back again. He was so marvelous! I lay on my stomach, i couldn't lie still, I couldn't sleep.
I heard a tap on the window, then another. What was it? A third time, more insistant it seemed. I got up and went to the window. There he was, illuminated by hte snow and the moonlight. I opened my window.
"Is this real?" I asked.
"Is anything real?" He replied.
"I certainly hope so."
"Come down, I missed you."
"Yes. Yes! I'm coming!"
I tiptoed down as quickly as possible; He was real, and so was the snow.

26 Comments:

At Sunday, September 11, 2005 2:53:00 PM, Blogger Kick-butt soccer star said...

you have a free mind? i'm so jealous!

 
At Sunday, September 11, 2005 3:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

on weekends i do! except today because i have to do this stupid essay. but i liked "free mind" better than "idle mind"

 
At Sunday, September 11, 2005 4:21:00 PM, Blogger Dryad said...

lol. I thought it was a good post but i must admit the end came with a bit of a shock

 
At Sunday, September 11, 2005 8:33:00 PM, Blogger Kick-butt soccer star said...

it's good... i like it a lot....and is david real, or a person that is him but not by the name of david?

 
At Monday, September 12, 2005 9:28:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwww...yay the girl got her man...not fair! lol.

 
At Tuesday, September 13, 2005 12:15:00 AM, Blogger Polenta said...

Hot! Spicy! Write more, please, I'm very intruiged and inspired!! Now I should go get that insperation out on my blog...

[coagulateknees]

 
At Tuesday, September 13, 2005 9:36:00 AM, Blogger Dryad said...

*raises an eyebrow*

 
At Tuesday, September 13, 2005 9:50:00 AM, Blogger Dryad said...

ooh, wouldnt it be cool if we wrote... i dont know what to call it, a 'cirle story'? like, roch started it, wrote one post then some one else added to it and went through all who were participating until back to roch and we just kept going?

 
At Tuesday, September 13, 2005 9:54:00 AM, Blogger Dryad said...

circle. i dont know what has happened to my brain.... must have been that stick i got it in the head with... or that time i decided to try to jump out of a tree to fly.... or when i was jumping into the river out or a tree and i missed the water adn landed on the ground... or when i jumped off of a unicorn and smashed into a tree... oh yeah, it was probably the time i was having a rock throwing war with Swena Glen.... And got hit in the head....



wen zel, wen zel

 
At Tuesday, September 13, 2005 9:35:00 PM, Blogger Esperanza Rising said...

yeah that would be cool, and roch...yummy, lol.

i like.

 
At Wednesday, September 14, 2005 10:10:00 AM, Blogger Nature's Daughter said...

yes! a circle story would be cool! i have thought about that before. writing a story and then mailing it to some one else, and then they could add some more... etc that would be really cool.

 
At Wednesday, September 14, 2005 4:41:00 PM, Blogger Dryad said...

yeah... i have an idea....(not!) i may or may not, but i could start it and then some1 would have to comment and claim 'part 2' and tell when it is finished and then they would write that on their blog and then some1 would comment on that post and claim part 3 and so on....

 
At Wednesday, September 14, 2005 11:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooooooohhhhhhh.

 
At Thursday, September 15, 2005 8:44:00 PM, Blogger Nature's Daughter said...

sounds good to me!!

Rochwen Eldariel

P.S
Kam,
yes, DAVE (it's just Dave, it's not short for David) is sort of, very loosely, based on a guy i know. but... I am not in love with him... and i'm not sure i could even imagine him doing the things i wrote about. just thinking about his ice skating rink was inspiration for this story.

 
At Friday, September 16, 2005 3:53:00 PM, Blogger Esperanza Rising said...

yeah, that's kinda what i was trying to do with the 'round robin' circle letter we had, like, years and years ago...BUT, yeah, I would absolutly LOVE to have a circle story...anyone who wants to join, post a comment here, anyone who wants to start it, say that to...YAY! It's gonna be so fun!

 
At Friday, September 16, 2005 11:04:00 PM, Blogger Kick-butt soccer star said...

um..i guess i'll join. so tal has started it. whos going next?

 
At Saturday, September 17, 2005 9:06:00 PM, Blogger Dryad said...

uh... no idea

 
At Sunday, September 18, 2005 12:49:00 PM, Blogger fiddlin' fool said...

I thought that "Dave" sounded like someone i might know.......

 
At Monday, September 19, 2005 12:21:00 PM, Blogger Dryad said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

 
At Monday, September 19, 2005 5:52:00 PM, Blogger Kick-butt soccer star said...

jesse mccartney?

 
At Tuesday, September 20, 2005 6:37:00 AM, Blogger Dryad said...

EWWWWWWWW! you sick-os!

 
At Thursday, September 29, 2005 3:52:00 PM, Blogger fiddlin' fool said...

no not jesse mccartney....

 
At Friday, September 30, 2005 9:13:00 AM, Blogger Dryad said...

DIE DEPP! DIE!

 
At Saturday, October 01, 2005 9:18:00 PM, Blogger Kick-butt soccer star said...

nooo! johnny depp you are a total hottie! but you are also very unaware of catastrophe that is being wreaked upon our environment.

 
At Monday, October 03, 2005 10:57:00 AM, Blogger Dryad said...

i fail to see what you see in Mr. Catastrophe... DIE DEPP DIE! i seriously dont know what...

 
At Monday, October 03, 2005 10:57:00 AM, Blogger Dryad said...

i fail to see what you see in Mr. Catastrophe... DIE DEPP DIE! i seriously dont know what...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home